Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Scarf day, minus the tickles...

The joys of having gone to an all girl's highschool, is the lesson on how to talk to your daughters about why they are wearing a scarf. Of course, I wasn't one of the popular girls who had a scarf or reason to wear one. What is the big deal that you must wear a scarf on a school day? In our school, it would have been considered out of uniform, so Sister "So and So" would have asked an explanation of such a flagrant disregard for uniformity. "Moy Fawda toll me oy kuuud?" would have been one of the excuses to Sista.
This morning, I was "Sista So and So"---
"ZZZup wit da tassles, homegirl?" I asked, ever so cautiously. One must be careful not to disturb the ego of the budding pubescence. "NOT!"
Mother, need you ask me what my choices of style change are, was the paraphrase of the answer. {I haven't learned to write in cyberenglish, yet} They really don't use words, they just look at you. I can't smack her everytime she looks at me, so, I attempted again to ellicit some sort of explanation for the fluff, in tow.
My stories of odd Catholic School girls, who covered hickeys with those fluff items, didn't dissuade, her. So she won the debate, this time.

No comments: