Monday, November 21, 2011

...And then there was Abby!



We called the first boy "Boy". That was his name to us. There didn't seem a need to call him anything else. There was no one else to answer to that name in our house. After about 18 months there was a need to diversify his name.



If we seemed unimaginative to name the first boy in our house, the opposite was true for the second. He had every name. We called him anything but boy. His name was Abdul. A princely name and serious name. We called him Dully, Dulcy, Dulcimus, Ashy{a rib about his skin texture}, but, mostly Abby. It seemed he was destined to spend only a short time with us. I wish that I had known that from the beginning, though.



I remember every minute that we spent outside Dr. Hewlett's office, waiting for this boy. I was old enough to know that the stork wasn't coming this time. And old enough to be very annoyed at the inconvenience of going to the Dr's office so often after school. He appeared on the scene, two weeks late and knocked my mother out of her wits. We didn't see that mother again. She birthed him and came back a new woman: A tennis player, adventurous, competitive. Abby and I spent hours with the water bottle and the patting on the back at Rochdale Tennis courts. Mom playing and us learning to rough it, a little. I remember his rough skin on my face and his raspy cry, in my ears. Mommy----the baby is crying again. Okay, Jayne, one more ball and you pat his back, maybe he will go back to sleep. He never went back to sleep, he cried and bauled in that growly kind of way that he did. We had no sympathy for him, we just growled back at him. We learned to love that little "truglidite"{ a term my father coined for the lot of us} Park children. We were there from the time school ended, till into the night, daily. Then, he learned to walk.



I'd say the frogs taught him to walk. Seems they were his best friends. He and Jo would go nature hunting together and gather frogs to bring for us to examine. We never were able to figure out how to keep them. We brought them home and they always got away.



Nature boy was another name that we called him. He was always covered in dirt and mud. I think that is why his skin improved somewhat, as he grew.



On long evenings, he and I would sit and I would lotion his ankles, trying to soften his skin from the scalp to the feeties. The funnest thing, when we were left home, was to play airplane with him on our feet.



There was no law about car seats, so we would ride to drop Dad off to the subway, with Abb laying across the whole lot of us. Our funnest trick was to watch his eyes open wide when we drove under the trestle and it got dark. We all would stare at him closely and his eyes would dialate, really really wide. He was somewhat examined closely by us. Not, because he liked it. I loved to put him on my shoulders and help him touch the ceiling. We would walk around the house and he would put hand prints on the ceiling.



I was ten going on 11 when he was born and entirely too big for my britches. He was my guinea pig in numerous experiments, not just the eye watching one. We rolled him around on the feet, like a baby bear. Grandma Ruth used to say, you girls are going to make his face as bad as his legs are, kissing him, like you do. We did, anyway.

No comments: