Saturday, February 23, 2019

Do I miss God, as much as I miss Evie?

It is with great fondness that I remember some of the trips to Chowan and How God inhabited our fellowship in the car for hours on end. I think there was also a wonderful presence of God, when we traveled and were cooped up in the car for hours, when you were children. Now that you are a woman and the rest of my children nearly grown, my fellowship with you guys is something I miss, but God doesn't leave me, like you guys do. I just hope that you are aware of the presence of God for yourself and grow accustomed to seeking it in worship and the things that you do.

The Sense and Sensibility of the presence of God

Is it an evasive thing?

Do we hide our sense of hollowness, behind a veil of sacred pretense? Where are you God? Are you here with us? You said you would be with us when we gather? And yet is that the case? Still, we convince ourselves and connect in words only and not beseeching God to truly attend our gatherings. We stand like the emperor without his new clothes and pretend to be clothed.

“Could it be You make your presence known, so often by your absence?” Michael Card
Our children are laughing that we are continuing to gather with such an “invasive” absence of God’s presence. Do we implore Him to be with us, in our prayer meetings?” Chase we the almighty dollar so that we cannot attend anymore? It isn’t a priority. We know we will see Him on Sunday… We comfort ourselves. “He knows my heart”
Have you moved away, Lord?
You promised to inhabit our praise? Where are You, Lord?

I do not really feel bereft of the presence of God, but it is a great fear of mine to be insensible of the absence of God and truly deceived by my own religiosity. My practices replacing his presence. I think that is why He chose someone like Amos and someone like Obed Edom to be present with. There is no religious veil to cut through. I would want to be that way and not deceived by my own thoughts of religiousness, Nor the comparison of others with myself.

Forgive my making light of your presence, Lord. Forgive my acceptance of the status quo of your love and attention. Help me to know You in the reality of Your lifting Your people to greater usefulness in our nation and our world. For the Church’s Sake in Jesus’ Name, Amen

No comments: