Sunday, February 3, 2019

the study of poop?

This is my fourth year in the study of infant care. I was in awe of Ms. Janet, initially. She seemed in command of her ship, so diligently. Some might have considered her a control freak. I simply loved to watch what her focus was. So much of childcare is unpredictable, that she considered controlling what could be controlled as her mission. In my years of mothering, I must say that I never thought of it that way.

Her very first consideration of the child was the poop. It is disgusting. I agree that poop is disgusting. But the difference between nursing poop and bottle poop is uncontrollable. She didn't like the changing process, but she would gird herself up as a warrior and change them in and amazing rhythm.

She seemed to have a party when the child no longer had that yucky kind of poop. I had never noticed that there had been a process to the poop. Early harder poops that can be handled easily became my goal, also. Less time wiping and fewer soft poops as possible became the goal. That became my focus amidst the mayhem of infant care.

Keeping them from hurting eachother and learning how they communicate was a close second to not having to spend ten or fifteen minutes changing a poopy baby. I really don't mind the changing diaper process persay, but children have a way of using that time to get into mischief. I saw that.

Today I thought about that because my poop was unusually sinking to the bottom of the toilet and I consider that I may have a new season of my own poop to consider. That is why I am telling you so!

No comments: